Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Locks of Love

November was a busy month that ended on a fantastic note. On Saturday Dizzle and I headed over to About Faces in Canton, where Jeff cut off ten inches of my hair for me to donate to Locks of Love.

Locks of Love is a non profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. Anyone who has ten or more inches of hair to donate can pull their hair back in a pony tail or braid, cut it off and send it in.

It wasn’t until I sat in the chair at the salon that I started to feel a little anxious. While Dizzle took (a million) pictures, Jeff put my hair in a ponytail and without hesitation chopped it off. My anxiety went away when he handed me the ponytail- it was done! The first big surprise was looking in the mirror and not having long hair. The second surprise came when the B walked into the salon to surprise me and distract me through the change (I have some amazing people in my world).

After I was cut, dried and styled, we put the hair in an envelope along with the $1,020 that was so generously donated from my friends and family, (Thank you all!!) and sent it to Florida.

It was on Wednesday that I made the decision to donate my hair. By Saturday, with the support and empowerment of incredible friends, I was able to send a little over a thousand dollars, plus ten inches of natural blond hair to Locks of Love. Pretty amazing.

To read more about the organization check out http://www.locksoflove.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment