Monday, July 23, 2012

One Hundred


Nearly six months ago, I strapped myself into a stationary bike in the very back row of my first SoulCycle class (that’s a lie, a girl named Jenny strapped me into the bike because I couldn’t do it myself, but that’s beside the point.) Full of anxiety, fear and trepidation I kept a very low profile and worried about how many people could see me embarrass myself as I struggled to keep up.

Last night, I rode in my 100th SoulCycle class. This time, I strapped myself in (and out) of the bike that has become “my bike” in the front row, without any help. Rather than feeling anxious, scared and trepid I felt excited, proud and comforted. I was humbled at how the staff and riders celebrated with me and empowered by the energy that went into making this a special experience.

It’s no secret that SoulCycle has become a huge part of my life. It’s my place to let go of bad energy and focus on what’s important. I have made some wonderful friends, and acquired so many things. As I reflect on the past 100 classes, there are three things in particular I have learned from my time on that bike that I hope to carry with me forever.

1. Aspire to inspire:

During my first class, these three words really grabbed my attention and since then I’ve tried to live by them. I take this thought with me into my professional life and into my personal life, and have made a valiant effort to leave others feeling inspired and excited.

2. Do something every day that scares you:

Last night, I was asked to ride on the instructor bike in the front of the class. I have had several conversations about not wanting to do this for numerous reasons. First and foremost, it terrified me. The thought of being under the spotlight like that, totally vulnerable (not to mention dripping of sweat in tight clothing with no control of my cleavage) was just too much. And then I did it. I was fortunate that this was a class of people I know pretty well, but it was still terrifying. 

3. Be kind to yourself:

Another instructor ends class often by saying, “be kind to yourself, be kind to one another.” I think all of us know that being kind to one another is the right thing to do, but I’m not so certain we always remember to be kind to ourselves. For a very long time I have been hard on myself. I beat myself up over the small things way too often, and am making an asserted effort to assuage that flaw every day.

During these 100 rides, I have heard some amazing stories, met some courageous and beautiful people and learned powerful lessons that I will carry with me forever. I have watched people grow with each other, support one another and learn together. I am incredibly blessed to be a part of this community and I look forward to 100 more rides.

4 comments:

  1. This is that girl Jenny.and you rock my world Abby Draper. I am so proud to be of an establishment & community that can offer such astounding & impractical words and moments. I am very proud to now be your friend rather than that girl & I can't wait to celebrate that next hundred. Much love and adoration,

    Jenny Savage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops I meant impactful words...o Lord spell check :-P

      Delete
  2. You are too sweet. Thank you for your kind words, encouragement and friendship. Thanks for being there since day 1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I work my way up to SoulCycle, you'll know you had a hand in inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete