Friday, October 23, 2009

Pay Attention to the Phone Call

“We do not remember days, we remember moments.” I was reminded of this quote today when Andrew (the younger bro) called to tell me that he had just left his last advisory meeting as an undergrad. Hearing how excited he was provoked thoughts about moments in my own life that I will always remember.

If you know me well, you know I have a terrible memory- so it’s pretty significant that I can report there are 2 moments in my life that stand out as moments I will never forget.

The first being the day I learned I had been accepted to the University of Kentucky. I’d already sent in my application for review, however I had not sent in any letters of recommendation (due to my unfortunate lack of patience). When I received my letters, I called UK to ask that they hold my application for a few days. The girl in the land of basketball and bourbon responded with “We have already made our decision”. With knots in my stomach I asked if she could tell me what the decision was, and although she “wasn’t supposed to”, she told me I had been accepted. This was in the day of landlines connected to the wall. I sat down on the floor, cried and called Dock to share the news.

The second moment is actually pretty similar to the first. It was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, at 5:00. I was already having a fabulous day because Dock had just bought me a blackberry (nothing like being a daddy’s girl!) The first call I accepted on my new phone was from a number I didn’t know... A number I have memorized now, because it belongs to my boss. It was Mitchell calling to tell me that Maroon PR wanted to offer me a job. While still on the phone with Mitchell, I ran into the living room (I was at the rents' house) with tears pouring out of my eyes and trembling hands, to share the news with Dock. He told me to pay attention to the phone call. After I hung up I sat down and cried my eyes out. This was the job I had been waiting for.

Ironically, my phone is flashing a number I don’t recognize- Let’s hope this is prince charming and moment number 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment