Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Thank you, Bob.

While searching for my first “big girl” job (aka waiting on John to finally hire me), I did what college grads do in a terrible economy, and accepted any interview opportunity that was presented to me. During the meetings, I dedicated all of my focus to impressing the interviewers and getting the job...whatever it was. I didn’t figure it out until late in the game that taking something out of, and learning from each interview could help me with my career in PR. Fortunately, late into the game is better than missing the goal completely (cough, Hauschka).

It was during the fourth quarter of my job search when it clicked- these people know a thing or two about being a PR professional, maybe it’s time to turn the interview into a conversation. I headed into the next meeting determined to make the most of it, and it’s a good thing because this conversation inspired the three rules I now abide by in my job.

During this meeting, “Bob” told me that to be successful I needed to 1. Be a good writer, 2. Be loyal to the company- the brand, my coworkers, and their mission, and 3. Always be honest.

Living in the PR world, these three ideas support my work. The first, to be a good writer, is why I entered public relations in the first place. I learned early that math, science and I would never be friends- had much better luck with writing and enjoyed it, so practicing was easy. The days that are writing intense are the best days in the office for me, and I am lucky to be working with other professionals who excel in writing (they make the best editors!!)

Being loyal to the company makes total sense and doesn’t require elaboration. The third applies to all aspects of life- Always be honest. While these things may seem so simple, you’d be amazed at how often they’re forgotten.

The search for my big girl job was rough at the time, but looking back, provided me with new knowledge, motivation and ambition. Guess I owe “Bob” some props :)

No comments:

Post a Comment